29 Nov The Crucial Role of Technology for Small Business Owners
Small business owners wear many hats. Often times, they wear them all. Technology makes their lives easier than ever with payment options like Square and the advent of more affordable cloud-based options that level the playing field amongst larger and more established competitors in the market.
Ensure your business thrives with the following tips:
- Develop a technology vision – Much like a business plan, but often not given as much attention, a solid technology plan can ensure you don’t switch from one system or application to another. Taking a proactive approach means avoiding inflated IT project costs and wasted investments.
- Purchasing the “right fit” – The latest and greatest in technology can seem shiny and impressive, but may not be the right solution for your business. Make a checklist of what you need your technology to do and find an IT partner that works with you to assess and customize a solution that helps you grow and scale.
- Establish a compatible infrastructure – Take a step back and ensure your business systems and software can “talk” to one another. Technology silos are not only expensive, but decrease productivity.
- Know your budget – You budget for every aspect of your business and technology should be no different. Do your research, consult with an outside IT services company and have a budget in place. Every dollar spent is crucial to the growth of your business.
- Provide support and training – Technology is only helpful when your employees understand its use. Training and support for your staff means maximizing the ROI of your investment. Ask your IT consultant about training options.
- Ensure everyone is “all in” – For SMBs, transparency is crucial to get your team members on board. Getting feedback from your employees before purchasing a technology solution increases user adoption.
Technology is a great enabler and can often be the catalyst that ignites your business. Following these guidelines ensures you save time and money, while increasing productivity and your bottom line.